|Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)
Inception| Our Team| Overview of Activities | Benefits of functional IQAC
Message from the Coordinator:
Being a part of higher education system in a developing nation, there is a greater responsibility on us to create a system that commits to bring benefits of education to society and nation at a large in pursuit of excellence required in higher education, NAAC/UGC have launched the concept of setting of Internal Quality Assessment Cell IQAC in the institute to build a sustainable quality bench mark for various academic and administrative activities in the Institute, THE INTERNAL QUALITY ASSURANCE CELL (IQAC) enables us to realize our strengths. When we understand our strengths at the same time it is essential to understand our weaknesses which can put us in disadvantage , we also become aware of the opportunities that can be utilized to our advantage and factors that can pose threats to us to reach our goals, IQAC enables us to reach our objectives by constantly evaluating our performance, accrediting the quality of education, and upgrading the benchmark to scale up the standard of education. We commit toward building an environment of learning with an outstanding infrastructure, dissemination of knowledge using upgraded technology and carefully designed curriculum taught by research oriented faculty members. We work towards differentiating ourselves by bringing ethos of student centeredness and molding students to be lifelong learners and innovators.
At this juncture I invite you all to this enriching learning experience and contribute towards Nation Building.
The national Assessment and Accreditation Council advocates the establishment of Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) by all the accredited institutions as a post accreditation quality sustenance activity. After the first assessment, wherein the College was accredited at the B+ Level & institutional score of 77%, Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of G P PORWAL ARTS, COMMERCE and V V SALIMATHSCIENCE COLLEGE was established on 01.01.2005. Shri S S Math became the 1st coordinator & carried out his responsibility from 12th January 2005 to 27thMay 2012. The College was accredited at the B level after the second assessment in the year 2011. Shri R S Bhooshetti was in charge of IQAC for one year. Dr. M D Patil took over on 28th May 2013 & has successfully steered IQAC till date.
Name: DR. MAHAVEER D PATIL
Designation : Coordinator, IQAC
Contact No : 9886644701
Email ID : email@example.com
Dr. Mahaveer D Patil
Coordinator, IQAC IQAC Office photo
|Members of the Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) 2017-18|
|1||Chairman||Shri U T Kolekar||Principal|
|2||Coordinator||Dr. M D Patil||Associate Professor in Mathematics|
|3||Teacher Member||Shri R S Bhoshetti||Associate Professor in Mathematics,
Chairman for Criterion-VII
|4||Teacher Member||Shri S B Goudappagoudar||Associate Professor in Botany
Chairman for Criterion-I
|5||Teacher Member||Shri D M Patil||Associate Professor in Zoology
Chairman for Criterion-VI
|6||Teacher Member||Shri M H Loni||Associate Professor in Physics
Chairman for Criterion-II
|7||Teacher Member||Dr. R M Patil||Associate Professor in Commerce
Chairman for Criterion-III
|8||Teacher Member||Smt. S S Mangalore||Lecturer in Chemistry
Chairman for Criterion-V
|9||Teacher Member||Dr. B S Hiremath||Assistant Professor in Sociology
Chairman for Criterion-IV
|10||Management Representative||Shri N R Porwal||Businessman and Secretary, Management SPVVSS|
|11||Educationalist||Dr. B G Math||Administrative Officer SPVVSS|
|12||Administrative Staff||Shri R K Kuchabal||Office Superintendent|
Sneha V Kulkarni
|General Secretary, Students’ Union (2017-18)|
OVERVIEW OF ACTIVITIES:
Goals of IQAC:
- Planning and Preparations for the NAAC Peer Team Cycle 3 visit for Assessment and Accreditation in 2017.
- Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks.
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning;
- Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services.
Functions of IQAC:
Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of the College has developed several quality assurance mechanisms within the existing academic and administrative system. These are as follows:
- From the beginning the main objective of the cell is to plan and implement quality initiatives and evaluate. It follows its calendar for meetings, quality agenda and maintains its proceedings.
- Placed Plans and proposals for implementation of the recommendations of the NAAC Peer Team visit in 2011.
- It circulates its plan and takes steps for implementation.
- It supports to conduct workshops, awareness programmes, special lectures on quality innovations, Curricula, Teaching-Learning & Evaluation, Research oriented seminars etc. It analyses the feedback received from Students.
- It coordinates with all stakeholders for their opinions and advices for quality sustenance and quality improvement.
- Dissemination of information on various quality parameters of higher education.
- Enforces external Academic and Administrative Auditing by Rani Channamma University, Belagavi & Department of Higher Education, Government of Karnataka (DHE, GoK).
- It Plans and Supports effective implementation for Total Quality management, Curricula development, Teaching-Learning and evaluation, Research, Consultancy and Extension activities for all stakeholders.
- It organizes and prepares data for all peer team visits since 2004.
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement.
- It collects, maintains and analyses documents and document evidences directly or through the College Office. It prepares the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) and submits it to NAAC regularly in last eight years.
- It analyses the feedback received from all stakeholders and inform the concerned about its outcome for correction and amelioration. It also appreciate & encourage and provide support required by all staff for their and quality sustenance and quality improvement in teaching, Research & administration.
- It has and is continuously working for Development of Quality Culture in the institution.
Decisions of the IQAC have been approved by the management for implementation and how many of them were actually implemented:
Decisions of the IQAC have been approved by the management and implemented
- Physical Infrastructural Development — Separate Dept For all Subjects; Ramps, Ladies Toilet, Drinking water.
- Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning in all departments.
- Extension, renovation and purchase of modern and necessary equipments for all science laboratories.
- Customize Software and LAN installation for office work.
- Computer and Internet connection in all departments.
- Library Automation.
- Journal and e-journal Procurement.
- Promotion of Research and Publication by Faculty.
- Promotion of Extension activities.
The external member of IQAC on its committee and significant contribution made him.
Dr. E. U. Masumdar, Officer on Special Duty & IQAC Coordinator
Rajarshi Shahu Mahavidyalaya, Latur (Autonomous) is the external expert of IQAC of our college. We are enriched by his valuable guidance to prepare for the re-accreditation process by NAAC.
Students and alumni contribute to the effective functioning of the IQAC:
- The students play the role of active learners who help in creating systems according to their needs and requirements. They make suggestions regarding improvement in teaching-learning process, examination system, day-to-day facilities like library services, leisure or canteen services etc. they are also informed about the decisions taken or policies made by IQAC for their welfare through notices & announcements etc. As far as the alumni of the college are concerned, IQAC makes special efforts to involve them in the college programme.
The IQAC communicate and engage staff from different constituents of the institution by the:
- Representatives of all stakeholders—Teachers, Students, Non-Teaching Staff, Alumni association and Management—- are present in the IQAC team who give their opinions and also convey the work, plan and activities of IQAC to their communities.
- It has been earlier stated that all strategies of IQAC are formulated with consultation of other faculty members. Further at the time of execution of the plans, the staff members and students are involved. As they are with IQAC from the seeding, planting, and cultivating process, this association contributes to the effective functioning of the college.
The internal quality assurance mechanisms aligned with the requirements of the relevant external quality assurance agencies/regulatory authorities:
- The college follows all university rules, UGC guidelines, Guidelines of NAAC and DHE,GoK instructions and maintains standards in teaching-learning process, conduct of examination & evaluation. It also avails many welfare schemes offered by these agencies, conducts academic and co-academic programmes as per the calendar of the Rani Channamma University.
The institutional mechanisms are in place to continuously review the teaching learning process- details of its structure, methodologies of operations & outcome:
- Academic calendar & Teaching Plan: The detailed layout of the teaching plan is offered in the Academic Calendar. The plans generally highlight the content and time schedule for completion of the chapters. This enables the Students to know the academic programme and the components to be learnt and to give examination. Moreover, the teachers would know the time frame for teaching – learning process and ensure the total attention for the completion of syllabi and possible revision. The Head of the Department distributes syllabus of the University for each subject taught in the College among the teachers in the respective department. Monitoring and necessary mid-term corrections are made primarily by the Head of the department in consultation with respective Teachers in the departmental meetings.
- Learner-centric education approach through appropriate methodologies like Academic Calendar, Interactive & instructional techniques like audio-visual mode of teaching, ICT based learning, organizing seminars, debates, Lectures by experts from other colleges & University, Inter-departmental lecture exchange, & presentations. This is accompanied by experiential teaching like projects-based learning, Field work, surveys, experiments and practical classes, etc.
- Detail information about the evaluation methods and the Examination schedule is given in the Prospectus from the time of their admission in a course and also in the Academic Calendar at the beginning of a session.
- The Principal regularly meet the HOD and take feedback on the teaching learning progress of each department.
Thus, the systematic planning, organization and implementation of teaching – learning – evaluation is possible within the total scheme of university schedule. It is rational, realistic and scientific.
The institution communicates its quality assurance policies, mechanisms and outcomes to the various internal and external stakeholders through:
- Regular notification.
- The progress of the students is communicated to the students and their parents.
- Detail information is given in the Prospectus.
- Through the institutional official website: www.gppcollegesindgi.in
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are communicated to the faculty members, especially the newly appointed ones, in the beginning of the session through meetings with the Principal.
- Students are made aware of policies through orientation programmes conducted by the administration and by the heads of departments.
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are communicated to the alumni in the meeting with the alumni.
- Policies and plans regarding the quality assurance are communicated to the University, State Government and NAAC through different reports submitted annually. [Annual Academic Report, Performance Statement and Annual Quality Assurance Reports (AQAR)]
Benefits of functional IQAC:
IQAC has facilitated/ contributed in the following ways:
- Ensured heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement.
- Ensured internalization of the quality culture.
- Ensured enhancement and coordination among various activities of the institution and institutionalize all good practices.
- Acted as a dynamic system for quality changes in this Institution.
- Regularly submitted the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) to NAAC.
Challenges of IQAC:
- The primary challenge encountered is that of resistance-to change. A lot convincing and persistence measures to alter strategies wherever needed has resulted in a lot of time being lost.
- Work beyond duty hours for activities that go beyond teaching by faculty sometimes have created an element of resentment. But the recent incentive structure of UGC (CAS) linking administrative works has made a positive impact.
- The management has not provided any technical support to the IQAC Coordinator yet.
We know that maintaining this momentum of quality consciousness is of crucial importance. It is a common knowledge that no single strategy works on its own. Multiple methodologies should be used at the same time and this should be used to overcome barriers and setbacks that come in the way of Quality sustenance and Quality improvement. In future we shall ensure that all stakeholders of this institution continue to remain fully in this endeavor and together move forward the NAACs agenda on quality assurance.